Oak Street was the location of some of Chattanooga's most fashionable residences--particularly those built in the wake of the city's 1887 real estate boom. By 1914 the mile-long cobblestone street had become a major thoroughfare, broad enough to accommodate a streetcar and flanked with wide sidewalks. While much new construction was taking place in the immediate vicinity of Fountain Square, the new homes in the present FSC more likely refer to those being built on the eastern end of Oak Street in the Fort Wood neighborhood.